Village Manager’s Pre-Thanksgiving Letter
27 November 2019
From the Village Manager:
Pocantico River Bridge. The Pocantico River Bridge is open for two-lane traffic. Ash Road and Todd Lane are also open. The contractor is removing various signs and advisories now that the heavy, restrictive construction has ceased. Looking ahead between now and January, additional restorative work will begin on Monday with construction site clean-up, repainting of yellow lines, forming up and pouring of new curbs/sidewalks ... all as weather permits. Also totally dependent on the weather and asphalt availability will be the milling and top coat repaving of Pleasantville Road from Ash Road to the South State Road “bump-out” ... soonest or if not by Spring 2020. Further tree work and especially replanting is task for the Spring. Again, many thanks for your collective endurance. Take caution and drive carefully.
Thanksgiving ... Planning Ahead ...
- VH, DPW/Highway and Recreation will all be closed on Thursday and Friday.
- Today we picked up Thursday’s garbage and West side re-cycling was completed. Our sanitation department will be picking up the regular Friday rounds.
- VBM’s Leaf Collection continues at an accelerated pace. We will not be picking up leaves on Thursday and Friday, 28 and 29 November. However, weather permitting (there’s strong chance of windy wintry weather coming by the weekend), we will continue leaf pick-up this weekend: both Saturday and Sunday. If snow, sleet, frozen rain hits us, it’s snow plow time.
- Be advised that no leaves should be placed on the roadway or on sidewalks. Violations will be issued by the Building Department for such infractions. Remember that brush and branches should be bundled and tied in a separate pile from the leaves. We cannot predict when we will be on a certain road as it is governed by the piles placed. Residents are asked not to call DPW to find out when we will be there.
- Our Library will be closed on Thursday and Friday but open on Saturday from 10:00 AM until 4:00 PM, and Sunday from 1:00 to 5:00 PM.
- There will be NO valet parking on either Thursday and Friday. Please park and lock your cars, do not leave keys in the car (turn it off!). Do not block other commuters or station patrons.
Overnight Parking Ban. Starting Sunday, 1 December, and through 31 March, the annual overnight parking ban will be in effect. The ban prohibits parking from 2:00 AM to 6:00 AM on any Village street, road or Municipal Parking lot with the exception of the Scarborough Train Station Parking Lot. Overnight parking at VBM’s Railroad Station lot is prohibited from 3:00 AM to 6:00 AM. Violators will be fined.
VBM Departmental Reports.
From the Village Clerk. Applications are being accepted for the 2020 Scarborough Station Parking. Please note that permits will be distributed next week. We will be adding the 2020 holiday (with No Valet Service dates) schedule to the permits ... we anticipate that all second permit requests will be addressed during the second week of December.
From the Village Treasurer/Finance. Your second half VBM Village tax bill has a 1 December 2019 due date but payable by Tuesday, 31 December 2019 without penalty. The second half “bill” was mailed in May when you received the original. Additional bills will not be sent. If you have any questions, you can go online or call our Tax Department at 944-2723.
From the Briarcliff Manor Fire Department (BMFD). When the weather turns cold, it can bring a chill into our homes. Portable space heaters have become a popular way to supplement central heating or to heat one room. If you plan to use portable electric space heaters, the Fire Chief would like to remind you to follow these safety tips and recommendations:
- Purchase a heater with the seal of an independent testing laboratory.
- Keep the heater at least 3 feet away from anything that can burn, including people.
- Choose a heater with a thermostat and overheat protection.
- Place the heater on a solid, flat, non-fallible surface.
- Make sure your heater has an auto shut-off to turn the heater off if it tips over.
- Keep space heaters out of the way of foot traffic. Never block an exit.
- Keep children away from the space heater.
- Plug the heater directly into the wall outlet. Never use an extension cord.
- Space heaters should be turned off and unplugged when you leave the room or go to bed.
You can follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/briarcliffmanorfd and on Instagram at www.instagram.com/briarcliffmanorfiredept. Consider becoming a VOLUNTEER Firefighter or EMT. Simply, click the link https://join.bmfd.org/.
The VBMPD PBA Holiday Drives. The VBMPD PBA has two holiday drives underway. Their Annual Coat Drive is looking for new or gently used winter coats to be dropped off at the Police Headquarters, 1111 Pleasantville Road, at any time through Saturday, 14 December. Then there’s the PBA Annual Toy Drive: drop off new unwrapped toys at the Police Headquarters at any time also through 14 December. All toys will be delivered to the Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital at the Westchester Medical Center.
From the Library and Community Center.
- Teen Advisory Board (9th – 12th graders), Thursdays (except never on first Thursday of the month, meetings held at BHS) until 19 December at 2:20 – 2:50 PM. E-mail Amy Kaplan at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will find a way to include you and incorporate your ideas. New members can join up at any time!
- Exhibit-Photographs by Michael Liebman. Month of December.
- December is “Write a Letter to a Friend Month.” Drop-in and take a moment to craft a handwritten note for someone special. Month of December.
- Paper Management: Less Paper, More Organized. Thursday, 5 December, 6:30 – 8:00 PM. Shannon Reilly is back to show us how to reduce the amount of paper in our homes and lives and to better organize what we need. Shannon has been a member of the National Association of Productivity and Organizing Professionals since 2016 and has her own business and website, Simplify with Shannon.
- Drop-In Knitting Help. Thursdays, 5, 19 December, 6:30 - 8:00 PM. Benny Gerwitz who has taught knitting classes will be available to help you get started or complete a project. You must provide your own materials. No registration is required.
- Books to Start You Thinking Nonfiction Book Discussion. Title to Be Determined. Friday, 6 December, 1:30 -3:00 PM. Registration is required to Shelley Glick at email@example.com or call 941-7072.
From Recreation and Parks.
- Save the date ... our Annual Community Bonfire and Holiday Sing-a-long program will be held on Sunday, 8 December, at the Law Park Pavilion. The Mike Risko Band will kickoff the festivities with live holiday music from 4:30-5:15 PM followed by our traditional sing-a-long featuring the always amazing Carolers from the Voice Studio of Susan Zetkov-Lubin. Join us and enjoy music, crafts, the bonfire and holiday treats co-sponsored by the Briarcliff Chamber of Commerce!
- Platform Tennis Update: Both of our courts are open. The courts feature a new blue/green color scheme and all screens have been tightened to proper tension. Reservation sheets are available on our website. All players are reminded to support the program and get your permits! Players are welcome and encouraged to purchase or renew their permits by calling the Recreation Office at 941-6560. This is a great year to give this wonderful cool weather sport a try!
- Our all-weather courts, Chilmark Courts 3 & 4 and Law Court 4, will remain open and available for play through the Fall season.
- Stay informed … subscribe to our “Recreation News” e-mail notification system available through the Village website. In addition to announcing new offerings, we use the system to keep you informed of such things as upcoming registration dates, deadlines, cancellation announcements and community special events. It’s easy: go to www.briarcliffmanor.org, access the Recreation page, and click on the “Subscribe to News” link to register. If you do not have access to a computer and would like information mailed to you, just call the Recreation office at 941-6560 and we will be happy to send you what you need.
The next M/BOT W/S is Tuesday, 3 December at 6:00 PM: followed by the BOT Meeting
at 7:30 PM. All meetings are held at the WJV Community Center.
Philip E. Zegarelli,
Report 411B – 27 November 2019
Happy Thanksgiving Day !
It’s our own, all-American Holiday.