Village Manager’s Report – 8 November 2017
From the Village Manager:
- Veterans Day. This year Veterans Day falls on Saturday, 11 November. HOWEVER, the VBM’s Administrative offices, DPW and Recreation will be closed on Friday, 10 November. Please note that regular Friday garbage collection will be made. Slight correction: our Library will be open on Friday but closed on Saturday, 11 November. There will be no Valet Parking services Friday… please park in the open parking stalls and not in the Valet Parking zone … don’t block in your fellow commuters in and please DO NOT leave your car running awaiting Juan parking it for you since he won’t be there (!). A quiz follows.
- Village Hall Construction. We will be closing slightly early today: enabling the HVAC contractor to blitz remaining work Friday and over the weekend. If you have been in VH you know what a wreck it looks like.
- Pleasantville X North State Road Intersection (AKA Birrettella’s Corner). Torture … but progress.
- “Northern” Pleasantville Road to Chilmark Shopping Center. Same … meeting with WC’s contractor to tidy up areas and have the sub-surface brought to grade. Weather will dictate how fast and far we can complete this project.
- Safe Routes to Schools (SRTS) moves to curbing and sidewalk work. Residents: please obey all posted signs regarding street parking restrictions. Road repaving will be in the Spring of 2018.
- Holbrook Road Lift Station. Holbrook Road paving completed: need touch-up.
- WC Road Contractors (ELQ) will not be doing paving/road work tomorrow, Friday, 10 November but will return on Monday, 13 November.
- Noise Ordinance Update. M/BOT’s recent W/S will generate a revised draft for future review. We anticipate having the first public hearing on the rewritten Noise Ordinance NO earlier than mid-January 2018.
- Heads-Up. A permit has been issued for a fireworks display for a private event scheduled at Trump National on Saturday, November 11th … set for approximately 8:50 PM.
- Please plan ahead … seasonal prohibition of overnight parking goes into effect on Friday, 1 December.
From our Village Departments
From the Village Clerk. Applications are currently being accepted for the 2018 Scarborough Railroad Parking Permits and permits will be distributed the week of 4 December.~ We will be adding the 2018 holiday (No Valet Service) schedule to the permits ... we anticipate that all second permit requests will be addressed by 15 December.
From the Department of Public Works (DPW).
- Our own paving program is ongoing: we thank you for your cooperation. Additional paving is being planned for the Spring of 2018.
- We completed the first loop of our annual leaf pick-up program. The second loop continues even though many leaves are still clinging to our trees. We had a first frost and this weekend’s weather is expected to be near freezing … maybe some wind will shake some more loose. We will begin WEEKEND leaf pick-up NEXT weekend. You are reminded that no leaf piles should be placed in the street or on sidewalks. Tell you landscapers that violations will be issued and for those with prior violations heightened scrutiny.
- Lawn Sprinklers … OK … this is the last time … as you prepare for winterizing your lawn sprinkler layout, be sure they are fully drained. Have your plumber pump air through the lines to push out water in low spots from your system. Have this done with the “saddle” or hub for your various lines. The Winter freeze can cause costly breaks in your lines … especially water losses not realized until you get the quarterly water bill.
From the Library and Community Center
- Nutrition for Kids. Thursday, 9 November, at 7:00 PM. Parents...do you ever wonder what to feed your kids...how much they should eat....which nutrients they need and how to keep your child athlete healthy?~ Then this is the program for you! Join local nutritionist, gym owner and radio talk show host Jennifer Zelop for this important presentation.
- Adult Coloring. Mondays from 1:00 - 2:30 PM.~ Join our popular Adult Coloring Group! Coloring has been proven to enhance concentration, relieve stress and help reduce anxiety. Come and explore your artistic side, meet new people, and have some fun, all while listening to soft relaxing music. Colored pencils, gel pens and coloring sheets will be provided or you may bring your own. Drop-In, no registration or artistic skills required!~ This program is cosponsored with the Briarcliff Manor Recreation Department.
- Preschoolers Storytime & Art Series. Tuesday, 14 November, at 3:00 PM for almost 3s - 5 year olds with caregivers. Registration is required. Enjoy an interactive storytime that always concludes with an art-inspiring book and a “process art” creative experience.
- New Program! Young Artists Series. Mondays, 27 November and 18 December from 4:15 - 5:15 PM for 4th graders and up. Registration is required. Participants will view the rotating art exhibit on the second floor of the Library and then use the same medium to create their own art in the same style.
- Hooked on Books. Wednesday, 15 November, from 4:15 - 4:45 PM for 5 & 6 year olds. Registration is required. This group focuses on developing a love for stories and comprehension skills via book extension activities, games, and crafts. Each meeting will focus on one or two stories with a related activity.
- An exhibit of artwork by Carole D’Angelica and Diddy Gomerman will be on display on the second floor of the Library through 30 November.
- Children’s Programs … email Amy Kaplan at email@example.com or call the Library at 941-7072.
- The 2017 Fall Program Brochure with our full listing of programs for adults, teens and children is posted on our website at http://www.briarcliffmanorlibrary.org/brochure.pdf. Print brochures are available in the Library. Also, please sign up for Library News at
http://www.briarcliffmanor.org/subscriberlib and “like” our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/briarclifflibrary to find out about everything that’s happening at the Library.
From Recreation and Parks.
- The VBM Recreation Advisory Committee Survey regarding Parks, Facilities and Recreation Programs is now available.~ Please take a few moments to share your thoughts! The survey will be available through Sunday, 26 November, and responses will be reviewed and discussed at the next Advisory Committee meeting on 28 November. Please click on the following link to access this online survey >>> https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NV9VYWN.
- Platform Tennis season has arrived, so get your Platform Tennis Permits and enjoy this wonderful cool weather sport! Contact the Recreation Department for details, or visit the Recreation page of the Village website at www.briarcliffmanor.org for further information.
- The Recreation Department’s Winter Season Program Brochure will be available for viewing and downloading from the Village website right before Thanksgiving. Winter registration begins on Monday, 4 December.~ Visit the Recreation page of the Village website at www.briarcliffmanor.org for further information on all recreation programs and seasonal offerings.
- Save the Date! Mark your calendars for the return of Briarcliff’s Community Bonfire & Holiday Sing-a-long event in Law Park. This year’s event is scheduled for Sunday evening, 3 December at 5:00 PM.
- If you are looking to stay informed with up to the minute information regarding Recreation Department programs and services, please make sure you subscribe to our “Recreation News” e-mail notification system available through the Village website. In addition to announcing new offerings, we use the system to keep you informed of such things as upcoming registration dates, deadlines, cancellation announcements and community special events. Simply visit the Village’s website at www.briarcliffmanor.org, access the Recreation page, and click on the “Subscribe to News” link to
Mayor and Board of Trustees. Due to the various holidays coming up during November, the M/BOT has scheduled a W/S on Wednesday, 15 November, starting at 6:30 PM: notice is also made for the potential of a special meeting and/or Executive Session, if necessary. All sessions will be at the WVJ Community Center.
Philip E. Zegarelli,
Report 303 – 8 November 2017
Saturday is Veterans Day …
Thank a veteran for their service.[copy text from your word processing document and paste it here]