Village Manager’s Report – 15 September 2017
From the Village Manager: This is the Big Time …
Westchester County Volunteer Firemen’s Association (WCVFA). The 111th Annual WCVFA Parade is TOMORROW, Saturday, 16 September. Fire Departments county-wide will be attending the full dress parade in VBM.
The parade will begin at 1:00 PM from the assembly points on the many streets west of Mulberry Road then funnel out onto Pleasantville Road … south through the Village. A reviewing stand will be mid-block on Pleasantville Road at the Chase Manhattan Bank.
The parade will end in Law Park with a live band for all to enjoy. Please note that the sizable number of fire apparatus will continue beyond Law Park to the Todd School and park there for the rest of the event. Because we anticipate a heavy local and out-of-town attendance, the following will be closed to traffic and/or parking due to the parade.
- From 12:30 PM to 2:30 PM … Pleasantville Road, from Chappaqua Road to Horsechestnut Road/9A;
- From 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM … Parts of Van Lu Van Road will be closed to public parking. This is being done to accommodate county and local FD and WC and local government officials;
- No Parking in effect all day and will be closed to traffic from 12:30 PM-2:30 PM for Hickory Road, Willow Drive, Cypress Lane, and Locust Road;
- From 10:00 AM to 2:30 PM … Mulberry Road will be closed to traffic and there will be NO PARKING from 7:00 AM-2:30PM and be closed to traffic;
- At 1:00 PM … All cars parked along the parade route … specifically in the downtown area … will not be able to leave their spaces until the conclusion of the parade;
- The Library will be closed on Saturday and there will be no parking in the Library parking lot from 7:00 AM through 7:00 PM;
- From 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM … the Wells Fargo Bank parking lot directly across from the firehouse will be closed;
- The Chase Manhattan Bank front area will be restricted for the official reviewing stand;
- From 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM … The VH Municipal Parking Lot will be closed (to accommodate WC and local FD and Government Officials.
We are making Public Parking Available at the Law Park Fields and 555 Pleasantville Road. Anyone parking at the Law Park Field or 555 Pleasantville Road will be able to take a shuttle bus to the downtown area or the staging area off Willow Drive.~For additional information, go to www.bmfd.org/convention or http://www.bmfd.org/?page_id=2558.
We are anticipating good weather, a great day and a heavy turnout of participants, residents and visitors. We ask for your cooperation, understanding and tolerance. On the average, the WCVFA parade comes to VBM every 30+ years. I am sure that you can appreciate the fact that as problems arise, there may be some changes to the “parade plan”.
Mayor and Board of Trustees. The previously re-scheduled meeting of Wednesday, 20 September (to Tuesday), has now been cancelled. We had planned to reset the meeting in recognition of Rosh Hashanah. However, since we also have been receiving additional comments regarding the proposed changes to the Comprehensive Plan – B Zone, we canceled the upcoming meeting to provide for additional time to review and digest the public’s comments. For me? I am pooped out from Community Day and all the other events.
From our Village Departments
From Administration: Coming up next … The WC Mobile Shredder arrives in VBM on Saturday, 7 October, from 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM. Like last year, the shredder will be stationed south, past the Youth Center: 5 Van Lu Van Road with 2 lines for cars being serviced
alternatively. Residents can bring up to 4 file-size (10”x12”x15”) boxes of confidential papers per household.~ Please remove all large binder clips and covers. This is for the disposal of personal household papers.~ All business, institutional or commercial papers are not acceptable and will be rejected, as will any junk mail, magazines or newspapers. Courtesy and consideration is appreciated.
From the Department of Public Works (DPW). Repainting of crosswalks, parking spaces, stop bars, and any double yellow lines that are worn or faded nearly completed. Expect to catch up on street light repair now that our “bucket truck” should be back in operation after repairs and upgrades.
From the Library and Community Center.
- The Library will be closed on Saturday, 16 September, to accommodate the WCVFA Parade and associated events set for Law Park. They will be open regular hours on Sunday, 17 September.
- Friday Night at the Movies: GOING IN STYLE [PG-13] Tonight at 7:00 PM. Desperate to pay the bills and come through for their loved ones, three lifelong pals risk it all by embarking on a daring bid to knock off the very bank that absconded with their money. Alan Arkin, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman star as the three elderly, lifelong friends who decide to rob a bank. Movies are shown in the Community Center.~ You may bring your own snacks.
- Brown Bag Lunch Book Discussion Group: Commonwealth by Ann Patchett. Tuesday, 19 September, from 12:30 - 2:00 PM. The acclaimed, bestselling author...tells the enthralling story of how an unexpected romantic encounter irrevocably changes two families' lives...Told with equal measures of humor and heartbreak, Commonwealth is a meditation on inspiration, interpretation, and the ownership of stories. It is a brilliant and tender tale of the far-reaching ties of love and responsibility that bind us together. Copies of the book are now available to borrow at the Library. To register, please email email@example.com or call the Library at 941-7072.
- Digital Photography Basics. Tuesday, 19 September, at 6:30 PM. Learn the basics of taking well-composed and expressive digital photos of the landscape and people around you from Robert Uricchio. Bring your questions and your cameras to get some helpful hints. Robert’s photography will be on display at the Library in September.
- The Century Association: Over a Century in the Arts and Letters. Sunday, 24 September, at 2:00 PM. What do famous Briarcliff Manor residents such as Walter Law, Frank Vanderlip, Brooke Astor, Alice Low and V.E. Macy have in common? They, along with many other illustrious Briarcliff residents, were all members of the Century Association, a private club founded in 1847. Come hear Alexander Vastola, Briarcliff Manor resident and Archives Assistant at the Century Association Archives Foundation, discuss the history of the Century Association.~ This program is cosponsored with the Briarcliff Manor - Scarborough Historical Society. Registration is recommended at firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or by calling the Library at 941-7072.
- Children’s Programs. To register, email Amy Kaplan at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Library at 941-7072.
- Preschoolers Storytime & Art Series. Tuesdays, 10 October – 14 November at 3:00 PM for almost 3s - 5 year olds with caregivers. Enjoy an interactive storytime that always concludes with an art-inspiring book and a “process art” creative experience.
- New Program! Young Artists Series. Mondays, 23 October, 27 November and 18 December from 4:15 - 5:15 PM for 4th graders and up. Registration is required. Participants will view the rotating art exhibit on the second floor of the Library and then use the same medium to create their own art in the same style.
- Casual Chess Club. Tuesdays, 3 October – 28 November from 4:30 - 5:30 PM for 3rd - 6th graders. Registration is required. Note: we will not meet on 31 October. Get together with other kids who like to play and practice your game. All levels are welcome. No formal instruction will be given. We can teach kids how pieces move if they have never played before.
- A photography exhibit featuring landscape photographs by Robert Uricchio is on exhibit on the second floor of the Library from 1 – 30 September.
- The 2017 Fall Program Brochure with our full listing of programs for adults, teens and children should be available on our website and in print at the Library by the end of August. Also, please sign up for Library News at http://www.briarcliffmanor.org/subscriberlib and “like” our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/briarclifflibrary to find out about everything that’s happening at the Library.
From the Police Department. Please work and cooperate with our PD and FD officers during Saturday’s Firemen’s Parade.
From Recreation and Parks.
- Don’t forget to join in on some of our Fall Recreation Programs for Adults 60 and older!
NEW – FREE Mah Jongg Lessons for Beginners - Tuesdays 2:30 - 3:30 PM, starting on 3 October.
Chair Yoga with Kathie Scanlon - Mondays 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM, starting on 18 September.
Adult Coloring - Mondays 1:00 - 2:30 PM, starting on 25 September.
Line Dancing with Cameron Kelly - Tuesdays 11:15 AM - 12:15 PM, starting on 19 September.
- The Recreation Department’s Fall Season Program Brochure will be available by close of business today for viewing and downloading from the Village website. Registration has begun, both online and in-person at the Recreation office. Visit the Recreation page of the Village website at www.briarcliffmanor.org for further information on Fall season offerings.
- If you are looking to stay informed with up to the minute information regarding Recreation Department programs and services, please make sure you subscribe to our “Recreation News” e-mail notification system available through the Village website. In addition to announcing new offerings, we use the system to keep you informed of such things as upcoming registration dates, deadlines, cancellation announcements and community special events.~ Simply visit the Village’s website at www.briarcliffmanor.org, access the Recreation page, and click on the “Subscribe to News” link to
From our extended Briarcliff Manor Community.
Briarcliff Youth Soccer Club. A reminder … Pre-K, U6-U8, and U14 training will kick-off tomorrow, 16 September.~ Please note that it will be held at Chilmark Park from 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM.~ For further information, please visit www.briarcliffsoccer.org.
The Briarcliff Manor Little League. BMLL will be having a golf outing on 2 October at the Pleasantville Country Club starting at 10:00 AM. The outing includes an 18 hole round, breakfast, BBQ buffet, and prizes (car for a hole in one).~ Note that it is limited to 36 golfers. If interested, please RSVP to email@example.com.
Mayor and Board of Trustees. There will be a Work Session on Wednesday, 27 September, starting at 6:30 PM at the WJV Community Center.
Philip E. Zegarelli,
Report 295 – 15 September 2017
Happy Rosh Hashanah !
Good holiday to you and yours ![copy text from your word processing document and paste it here]