Village Manager’s Report – 1 September 2017
From the Village Manager.
- Monday, 4 September, is Labor Day. As a NYS and Federal holiday, all Village offices will be closed. Weather permitting (check future weather reports), the Pool will be open. There will be no valet parking at the Scarborough Railroad Station. Especially note that the Library will be closed this Sunday and Monday, 3 and 4 September. Regarding sanitation, Monday’s garbage collection will be shifted to Tuesday and Tuesday’s to Wednesday and combined with recycling.
- Jazz Performance. Briarcliff Manor High School senior, Michael Gorlin, and his Jazz Quartet will be performing on Saturday, 2 September, at 2:00 PM at the Law Park Pavilion. Come and enjoy an afternoon of fun and free live music (see attached flier).
- Route 9A x North State Road Project. What has been underway at the corner of North State and Pleasantville Road (what we call “Birrettella’s Corners”) is a pre-project to the actual Route 9A intersection work. The bases to for the 10-foot-deep traffic lights stanchions have been poured and need to cure. The next phase is WC’s portion: completing the right turn on red turn lane and sidewalks/curbs. The VBM is the agent for the 9A intersection work. The bids have been awarded and just yesterday we received the official NYS-DOT work permit to proceed. However, in order to start the work, we will be holding a preconstruction meeting after Labor Day to work out the timetables and allocation/phasing of the work.
- Pleasantville Road Repaving: (including but not limited to Pocantico River Bridge rebuilding, Horsechestnut Road sidewalks/curbs and the Safe Routes to Schools Project (Ingham). Basically all these projects are separate but intertwined. The primary portion is WC lead and financed (@ $7 million). We anticipate a mid-September “sit-down” to pre-construction/pre-plan and allocate work for this long awaited project.
- The Club. The Scarborough Road entrance to the Club will be temporarily closed or at best have limited access. The timetable to complete has been shifted. Access to the Club soccer fields and associated parking lot will be through the new entrance … across the connector road between the new detention basins. This is a temporary event necessary to complete the installation of storm water piping and other underground utility structures to their final locations. As soon as the construction is completed, the entryways will be opened.
- VH HVAC. Work still continues on the Village’s replacement boiler system and related HVAC work. Please be advised that limited primary street access to the Village’s municipal parking lot continues to remain partially blocked awaiting final testing of new Con Ed natural gas hook-up.
- Comprehensive Plan – B Zone. The public hearing reopens on Wednesday, 6 September, and is solely oriented to addressing potential language changes to the village’s current Comprehensive Plan. If you are Searching for the current documents, the hyper link is: http://briarcliffmanorny.virtualtownhall.net/Pages/BriarcliffManorNY_Trustees/Comprehensive%20Plan%20Addendum%202017/.
From the Department of Public Works (DPW). Work continues on roadside tree trimming, overhanging tree limbs and ongoing tree work. Repainting of crosswalks, parking spaces, stop bars, and any double yellow lines that are worn or faded nearly completed. Expect to catch up on street light repair now that our “bucket truck” should be back in operation after repairs and upgrades. Pushing for Community Day and WCVFA preparation of public spaces.
From the Briarcliff Manor Fire Department (BMFD). Not far away … the 111th Annual Westchester County Volunteer Firemen’s Association (WCVFA) Convention and Parade is on September 14-16, 2017. Fire Departments county-wide will be attending convention meetings and training seminars, a friendship night, and on September 16th, a full dress parade through VBM. The parade will begin at 1:00 PM from the assembly points on the many streets west of Mulberry then funnel out onto Pleasantville Road south through the Village. A reviewing stand will be mid-block on Pleasantville Road. The parade will end in Law Park with a live band for all to enjoy. The fire apparatus
will continue beyond Law Park to the Todd School. For additional information, please contact the committee co-chairs Matthew Gullo and Matthew Goldman at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.bmfd.org/convention or http://www.bmfd.org/?page_id=2558.
From the Library and Community Center.
- The Library will be closed on Sundays in August through the Labor Day weekend. We will resume regular Sunday hours from 1:00 – 5:00 PM on Sunday, 10 September.
- Working with Word. Saturday, 9 September at 1:30 PM. Learn basic and intermediate Word 2010 features including formatting, creating tables, headers and footers, adding images and more. Basic computers skills are needed and registration is required. To register, email email@example.com or call 941-7072.
- Book Discussion Groups for Adults. The Library’s book discussion groups will be starting up again soon. The schedule and titles are shown below. The books for the September meetings are now available in the Library to borrow. If you would like to register for a book discussion group, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Library at 941-7072. Additional information on our book groups can be found at http://www.briarcliffmanorlibrary.org/bookgroups.html.
Contemporary Fiction by Award-Winning Authors:
Wednesday, 27 September from 7:30 – 9:00 PM: House of Names by Colm Tóibín
Wednesday, 25 October from 7:30 – 9:00 PM: Exit West by Mohsin Hamid
Wednesday, 15 November from 7:30 – 9:00 PM: LaRose by Louise Erdrich
Tuesday, 19 September from 12:30 – 2:00 PM: Commonwealth by Ann Patchett
Tuesday, 17 October from 12:30 – 2:00 PM: Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See
Tuesday, 21 November from 12:30 – 2:00 PM: Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf.
- Children’s Storytimes. Our ongoing children’s storytimes will resume soon.~ Dates and times are shown below. Contact Amy Kaplan at email@example.com or 941-7072 if you are interested in participating or receiving email notifications about children’s programs.~ Registration is not required.
- Baby Storytime Lapsit. Wednesdays, 6 September – 15 November at 11:30 AM for babies up to 18 months with caregivers. Sing, read, dance and play with your baby.
- Fun for Older 1s and Younger 2s. Wednesdays, 6 September – 15 November at 10:30 AM for 15 - 30 month olds with caregivers. Enjoy songs, movement and books together.
- Preschoolers Storytime & Art Series. Tuesdays, 10 October – 14 November at 3:00 PM for almost 3s - 5 year olds with caregivers. Enjoy an interactive storytime that always concludes with an art-inspiring book and a “process art” creative experience.
- New Program! Young Artists Series.~ Mondays, 23 October, 27 November and 18 December from 4:15 - 5:15 PM for 4th graders and up. Registration is required. Participants will view the rotating art exhibit on the second floor of the Library and then use the same medium to create their own art in the same style.
- Casual Chess Club. Tuesdays, 3 October – 28 November from 4:30 - 5:30 PM for 3rd - 6th graders. Registration is required. Note: we will not meet on 31 October. Get together with other kids who like to play and practice your game. All levels are welcome. No formal instruction will be given. We can teach kids how pieces move if they have never played before.
- A photography exhibit featuring landscape photographs by Robert Uricchio is on exhibit on the second floor of the Library from 1 – 30 September.
- The 2017 Fall Program Brochure with our full listing of programs for adults, teens and children should be available on our website and in print at the library by the end of August.~ Also, please sign up for Library News at http://www.briarcliffmanor.org/subscriberlib and “like” our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/briarclifflibrary to find out about everything that’s happening at the Library.
From the Police Department. Warm up time! The PBA will be participating in this year’s Community Day once again.~ They will have a dunk tank set up for the day and a K9 demonstration around 5:00 PM from the Westchester County Police.
From Recreation and Parks.
- Law Park Pool Hours: Sadly, the Village Pool season is in its final days, but we’ll be open Saturday, Sunday and Monday 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM. The Recreation Department would like to thank all of our patrons & pool staff for a great season!
- Coming up quickly is VBM’s Community Day 2017 which is set for Saturday, 9 September. As we have previously announced, we are once again bringing in some interesting and delicious Food Truck Vendors to spice up our annual celebration! This year you can look forward to Arthur
Avenue Wood-Fired Pizza, Annie’s American Dogs, KONA Ice, Crazy Taco-Mex and Three Little Pigs BBQ! Our traditional games, inflatable activities and organization/business information tables will be on the field between 4-7 pm, and our annual DJ Dance party will move back into the pavilion immediately after our fireworks display co-sponsored by the Briarcliff Manor Chamber of Commerce!~ Any not-for-profit, community-based groups still interested in participating are encouraged to contact the Recreation Department for details. Visit the Recreation page of the Village website to view the event specific flyer!
- Students entering grades 5 through 8 this Fall are reminded to register for the Youth Center’s annual “Back with a Splash” Pool & Dance Party that will be held on Thursday, 7 September from 4:30 – 7:00 PM at the Village Pool. This event is a great way to kick-off the School year and get involved with the Youth Center program. The cost is $15 per student and pre-registration is required. Visit the Youth Center link on the Recreation page of the Village website for further information.
- The Recreation Department’s Fall Season Program Brochure will be available by close of business today for viewing and downloading from the Village website. Registration begins at 8:30 AM on Monday, 11 September, both online and in-person at the Recreation office. Visit the Recreation page of the Village website at www.briarcliffmanor.org for further information on Fall season offerings.
- If you are looking to stay informed with up to the minute information regarding Recreation Department programs and services, please make sure you subscribe to our “Recreation News” e-mail notification system available through the Village website. In addition to announcing new offerings, we use the system to keep you informed of such things as upcoming registration dates, deadlines, cancellation announcements and community special events. Simply visit the Village’s website at www.briarcliffmanor.org, access the Recreation page, and click on the “Subscribe to News” link to
From our extended Briarcliff Manor Community.
Briarcliff Manor High School (BMHS) Class of 1967 Reunion. The BMHS class of 1967 will be holding their 50-year reunion during the weekend of 8 – 10 September. There will be a picnic on Saturday, 9 September, from 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM at Law Memorial Park. If anyone would like to get in touch with these 67 year old grads, please contact Shirley Common Dalhgren at 914-582-3744 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
State Senator David Carlucci and Assemblywoman Sandy Galef … are co-hosting their Annual Senior Fair on Thursday, 14 September 2017, at the Joseph G. Caputo Community Center, Ossining from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Over 50 local vendors and resource providers within WC and surrounding areas will be present to offer support, knowledge and expertise to enhance the lives of our senior citizens. (see attached flier).
Briarcliff Youth Soccer Club. Register now… limited spots are available for the 2017-18 AYSO U6 (Kindergarten) through U12G. AYSO is now using Blue Sombrero as their registration site. Please go to www.briarcliffsoccer.org for a link to our Blue Sombrero registration site. The fee for the full AYSO year is $292.50 per player. Fees include professional training led by the NY Red Bulls, uniform kit, trophy, AYSO membership and magazines, insurance, and
equipment. All players need to provide their own shin guards, cleats and water bottles. Pre-K: Please see www.briarcliffsoccer.org for a link to the NY Red Bulls registration site.
Mayor and Board of Trustees. The next M/BOT session will be Wednesday, 6 September, beginning with a W/S at 6:30 PM at the WJV Community Center.
Philip E. Zegarelli,
Report 293 – 1 September 2017
Enjoy the long Labor Day Weekend !
But be sure to check local weather forecasts and check in with Recreation for latest updates. There is a concern that various weather conditions may shift on us over
the next 24-36 hours causing postponements or
cancellations of events …[copy text from your word processing document and paste it here]