Village Manager’s Report – 11 August 2017
From the Village Manager. Project updates.
- Pleasantville Road paving projects. No real changes from last week … we are awaiting dates for a mobilization meeting to layout the timeframes and areas first to be addressed.
- Holbrook Road Construction. This is a repeat … notice of pending, periodic road closures is still in effect. The contractor for the new sewer lift station will need to close Holbrook Rd for additional building purposes: he continues to be obligated to reinstall detour signs. Holbrook Road has been closed intermittently during the day between 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM. We have given him a “short leash” to finish the road work by the start of school on 5 September. The Contractor will be required to limit the daily road closures to only those days when two flaggers would be ineffective. Otherwise the roadway is to
be open. Doubling up: Con Ed is slated to install the pump station gas service during this same time frame.
- VH HVAC. Work continues on the new boiler system and related HVAC work. Please be advised that the main street entrance to the Village’s municipal parking lot at 1111 Pleasantville Road remains partially blocked and probably into early next week. Signage will be posted where you will be able to enter the parking lot from Delton Lane only during this time period.
- Comprehensive Plan – B Zone documents. Previously we reported this important subject whose open sessions have been televised and updated our website with, I sincerely believe, are a series of reports, documents and advisories on the proposed changes to the VBM’s current Comprehensive Plan as it pertains to the primary Corporate Business Zone properties now largely vacant. The direct hyper link is: http://briarcliffmanorny.virtualtownhall.net/Pages/BriarcliffManorNY_Trustees/Comprehensive%20Plan%20Addendum%202017/.
Reports by Village Department.
From the Department of Public Works (DPW). Roadside trimming efforts are ongoing especially at road curves and intersections. In those vulnerable areas we have first sought the adjacent property owners to initiate the work. ~This now includes several roads where lower hanging tree branches have “invaded” the roads and hit our garbage trucks and workers. ~In many cases, we will be sending out letters or fliers where private trees are encroaching the “air space” of our trucks and workers. Speciall efforts are being taken in our continual repainting of crosswalks, parking spaces, stop bars, and any double yellow lines that are worn or faded.
From the Briarcliff Manor Fire Department (BMFD). The BMFD is proud to announce that it will be hosting the 111th Annual Westchester County Volunteer Firemen’s Association (WCVFA) Convention and Parade from September 14-16, 2017. This is the 3rd time that Briarcliff has hosted this event. Departments will attend convention meetings and training seminars, a friendship night, and on September 16th, a full dress parade through our Village of many volunteer firefighters and fire trucks, from all over Westchester County and the surrounding area. The parade will end in Law Park with a live band for all to enjoy. Founded in 1906, the WCVFA is our
county’s Volunteer Firemen’s Association. WCVFA is influential in NYS and has facilitated significant levels of legislation, for the benefit of firefighters throughout our state.~ For decades, the WCVFA fought for a Training Center: today it is one of the finest in the State of New York. BMFD is a proud member of the WCVFA as the organization continues to maintain a watchful eye for public and firefighter safety.~If you are interested … For journal/sponsorship Ad information, please contact the committee co-chairs Matthew Gullo and Matthew Goldman at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.bmfd.org/convention .
From the Library and Community Center.
- The Library will be closed on Sundays in August through the Labor Day weekend. We will resume regular Sunday hours from 1:00 – 5:00 PM on Sunday, 10 September.
- Friday Night at the Movies: TONIGHT … The Zookeeper’s Wife [PG-13] in the Community Center at 7:30 PM. The Zookeeper's Wife tells the account of keepers of the Warsaw Zoo, Antonina and Jan Zabinski, who helped save hundreds of people and animals during the German Occupation. People attending may bring their own snacks. Registration is not required.
- Solar Eclipse Live Stream Viewing. Monday, 21 August, from 12:00 PM - 5:00 PM in the Community Center. Watch the Nasa.org live video stream this once every 99 year solar eclipse as it traverses our country. The live video will be shown on the big screen TV in the community center. Stop by anytime and watch for as long as you want. This is something you really can’t pass up (!). All are welcome.
- Stories and a Craft. (2 1/2 - 6 yr. olds with caregivers) – Last event is this Wednesday at 3:30 PM in the Pavilion.
- Babies and Young Tots. Storytimes resume the Wednesday after Labor Day … 6 September (under 18 months at 11:30 AM and 15 - 30 months at 10:30 AM).
- Stories by the Pool (for 2 1/2 - 7 year olds) – Last event is this Tuesday at 4:00 PM.
- Open Craft Days (all ages with caregivers). Last event is this Friday from 10:30 AM - 5:30 PM in the Library.
- Knitting Group. Reminder that our knitting group will not be meeting in August but restarts in the Fall, dates and time to be provided.
- Assimilation: Inks and Acrylics by Liliana Washburn is on exhibit on the second floor of the Library till August 30.
- The 2017 Fall Program Brochure with our full listing of programs for adults, teens and children should be available on our website and in print at the library by the end of August.~ Also, please sign up for Library News at http://www.briarcliffmanor.org/subscriberlib and “like” our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/briarclifflibrary to find out about everything that’s happening at the Library.
From the Police Department. The BMPD will be posting information on upcoming events, emergencies like road closures, to lost pet requests, etc. on the following social media websites:
Facebook: Briarcliff Manor Police Department
Twitter: BriarcliffManorPD @BMPD10510
From Recreation and Parks.~
- LAST CALL for Specialty Camp Programs … Register NOW for these 1-week offerings including “Engineering for Kids” camps, “PlayWell Teknologies” LEGO Camps, BYSC’s “Red Bulls Soccer Camps” and “Azility Speed & Sports Performance Camps”. For details on all camps/programs visit the Recreation page of the Village website at www.briarcliffmanor.org and click on “SPECIALTY CAMPS”.
- Law Park Pool Hours:~ Pool hours are now 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM daily through Monday, 4 September.~ Regular permit & guest fee policies will apply through the end of the season, so contact the Recreation Office if you’d like to purchase a daily use permit or if you need additional guest passes!~ The office is open weekdays between 8:30 AM and 4:00 PM.
- Never too early … Community Day 2017 will be held on Saturday, 9 September … Returning for 2017 … we are once again bringing in some interesting and delicious Food Truck Vendors to spice up our annual celebration!~ If you know of any food truck vendors, local businesses, or not-for-profit, community-based groups that might be interested in participating in the event, please have them contact the Recreation Department for details. Watch for future announcements.
- We know you just can’t wait ! Our Fall Season Program Brochure will be available for viewing and downloading from the Village website by 1 September.
From our extended Briarcliff Manor Community.
State Senator David Carlucci and Assemblywoman Sandy Galef … are co-hosting their Annual Senior Fair on Thursday, 14 September 2017, at the Joseph G. Caputo Community Center, Ossining from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Over 50 local vendors and resource providers within WC and surrounding areas will be present to offer support, knowledge and expertise to enhance the lives of our senior citizens. (see attached flier).
Phelps Memorial Hospital Center (PMHC). PMHC Healthy Life offers an ongoing series of diverse programs on health-related subjects: numerous health screenings and support groups. All events are free and are held on the Phelps campus, 701 N. Broadway, in Sleepy Hollow unless otherwise noted. Coming up soon are:
- Senior Steps. Tuesday, 15 August. Health screenings for seniors are held in various locations throughout the hospital. A cognitive screening will be held in August. At Phelps Hospital, 755 North Broadway, Room 225, Sleepy Hollow, from 10:00 - 11:30 AM. Call 914-366-3937 to register.
- Alzheimer’s Caregivers Support Group. Friday, 25 August. If you’re caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease, you don’t have to go it alone.~ Join us for the emotional, educational and social support needed to successfully care for someone with dementia. At Phelps Hospital, 755 North Broadway, Room 515, Sleepy Hollow from 10:00 - 12:00 PM. Call 914-366-3937 to register.
Mayor and Board of Trustees. The next M/BOT session will be Wednesday, 16 August, beginning with a W/S at 6:30 PM at the WJV Community Center.
Philip E. Zegarelli,
Report 290 – 11 August 2017
Attachment.[copy text from your word processing document and paste it here]