Village Manager’s Friday Report
29 June 2018
From the Village Manager.
Weather Alert. This year’s cool, wet Spring running through June ends abruptly as Summer hits us with a heat and humidity blast this weekend. The alert is not only for Sunday, 1 July, but anticipated well into next week. With temperatures to be near 100 degrees and humidity levels to match, please plan ahead and take it easy. Check with local weather forecasts, advisories and precautions. Stay cool.
Major Project Updates.
Law Park Playground … is OPEN. While the permanent fencing is yet to be installed, we opened the playground with temporary storm fencing at the playground edge: there is only one entrance. Please stay off the newly planted grassy areas and do not touch the temporary sprinkler system. Additional landscaping, table/bench placement and garbage receptacles will be strategically placed shortly. Thanks.
Route 9A x North State Intersection. We are very close to completing this project. This week’s heavy rains delayed the permanent lane striping work but the new signalization is in place and operational. I am sure there will be blips and other problems… please understand that the electronics of this project are complex but we believe the upgrades have been worth the time and effort. Thanks for your cooperation and support.
Pleasantville/Ingham Road Intersection/Pocantico River Bridge.~
- Pleasantville Road. Paving of the VBM portion of Pleasantville Road is largely completed. Permanent striping has yet to be laid down. Please drive carefully.
- Ingham Road Intersection. The “on demand” signalizing is in the process of being installed and activated.
- Pocantico River Bridge. Stage 2 of the Pocantico River Bridge work commences this coming week.~ During this work, an automated portable traffic control device will be installed on Pleasantville Road between Ash and Horsechestnut Roads. ~During this time period, alternating one-lane traffic will be in effect.~ It is anticipated that this stage of the work will take approximately 8 weeks.~ While not a firm date, starting on Monday, 16 July, traffic will not be permitted to exit from Todd Lane during this critical stage of the work.
And, of course … Birrettella’s Corner Completion. We have been notified that the long awaited removal of the fuel tank is to begin this Monday, 2 July. Thereafter, that segment of road work will be scheduled to complete that phase of our WC project.
Village Department Reports
From our DPW.~ Heavy duty work routines continue. With the Spring sports season over, we are concentrating on seasonal field rehabilitation: aeration, weed and seeding programs in preparation for the Fall playing season. Other projects include continued DPW’ involvement with the Law Park Playground project. Now planning for our annual road paving program traditionally executed in the Fall.
From the Finance Department and the Village Treasurer.~ Be advised that you are responsible to have the first installment paid by, Monday, 2 July.~ You must reach out to the Tax Department at 944-2723 BEFORE the due date or a 5% NYS imposed penalty will be applied.~ There are no exceptions to this requirement.~ If you are or know of a new resident, please email this to them as many new residents are not aware of the Village Tax Cycle.
From the Library and Community Center. ~
Getting ready for the 4th of July? Make the library a stop for car ride audio, movies, travel guides and paperback reads. We are open regular hours all week except the 4thand are always open online at www.briarcliffmanorlibrary.org. (Library closed Wednesday, 4 July in observance of Independence Day.)
- Stories and a Craft (2 ½ to 6 year olds with caregivers), starts Wednesday, 27 June, 3:30 PM. Listen to stories and then create a related craft at each session. Meets weekly through August 15, except July 4. No registration. Location: Outside at Law Park & Pavilion.
- Open Craft Days (All ages with caregivers), starts Friday, 29 June, 10:30 AM-5:30 PM. Children can create whatever they wish with materials provided. Meets weekly through August 10. No registration. Location: The Children’s Program Room.
- Reading Rock(s) Garden (3rd to 8th graders), Tuesday, 10 July, 4:30 PM-5:30 PM. Together we will create a rock garden that celebrates books we have enjoyed. The rock garden will be on display all summer in the children’s room. Registration required to Amy at email@example.com or 941-7072.
- FOG: Fine Art~Photography~by Heidi Fuhrman, Exhibit 2 June-30 June. The artist invites viewers to meditate on the mystery of fog.~~Location: The second floor of the Library.~Exhibit is open to the public.
- Books that Will Start You Thinking: Non-fiction Book Group, Sunday 15 July, 1:30 to 3:00 PM. The group will be reading 1968: The Year that Rocked the World, by Mark Kurlansky. Please register with Shelley Glick at firstname.lastname@example.org or 741-7072 . Pick up a copy at the front desk. Large print and CD editions are available. This title has been part of a county-wide community read.
- To join the Library Friends, please contact Janet Bashford at email@example.com.
From Recreation and Parks.~
- 2018 Pool Schedule:~ Pool hours are now 11:00 AM to 7:30 PM.~ If you would like to purchase or renew your permits, please see the Pool & Tennis permit information available on the Village website at www.briarcliffmanor.org.~ Permits may be purchased at the Recreation Office weekdays between 8:30 am and 4:00 pm.~ Tennis players are reminded that permits are required for play on all Village courts. ~Please show your support for the Village’s tennis facilities, and maximize your enjoyment of the 2018 season by purchasing your permits early!
- The 2018 Briarcliff Swimming and Diving Team program is underway!~ If you are interested in joining the team, please register at the Recreation Department ASAP. ~The program is for children ages 6-18 who already know how to swim and want to get involved in competitive swimming & diving. ~The team competes in the Northern Westchester Swimming Conference & the season runs through Sunday, 29 July.
- Spring/Summer Recreation Brochure is available on the Village website: visit the Recreation page at www.briarcliffmanor.org~to access the brochure and review the array of programs and services available to all Village residents. Pool & Tennis Permit Sales and registration for summer programs are underway and ongoing – this includes Tennis Lessons and Pool Programs like Swim Team, Water Babies, Preschool Aquatics and Lifeguard Training. If you do not have access to a computer and would like information mailed to you, just call the Recreation office at 941-6560 and we will be happy to send
you what you need.
- Village fields are open for use as scheduled by our local youth sports organizations.~Please remember that field use is by permit only.~ All field users and teams are asked to help keep our park facilities clean by picking up and removing all trash from the playing fields after your use.~Remember … what you take into our parks and fields are to be taken out or otherwise disposed of properly. Understand that there will be a blitz of certain playing fields to aerate, weed and feed cycles preparing them for the Fall playing season. Thank you and enjoy what’s left of the Spring season!
- VBM will once again partner with other program providers this summer to offer additional Specialty Camp Programs. Take advantage of several 1-week camp offerings available throughout the summer including “PlayWell Teknologies” Star Wars LEGO Camps, “IncrediFlix” Movie Making Camps, Briarcliff Little League Baseball Camps, Azility Fitness Camp and Soccer Camps offered in conjunction with the Briarcliff Youth Soccer Club and the New York Red Bulls.~
- Stay informed … subscribe to our “Recreation News” e-mail notification system available through the Village website. ~In addition to announcing new offerings, we use the system to keep you informed of such things as upcoming registration dates, deadlines, cancellation announcements and community special events. ~It’s easy: go to www.briarcliffmanor.org, access the Recreation page, and click on the “Subscribe to News” link to register. If you do not have access to a computer and would like information mailed to you, just call the Recreation office at 941-6560 and we will be happy to
send you what you need.
From our extended Briarcliff Manor Community.
From the Briarcliff Manor Chamber of Commerce (BMCC). Get ready for a great new program ! The BMCC will be hosting a Summer Concert series on 12, 19, 26 July from 7:00 – 9:00 PM and 2 August from 6:00 – 9:00 PM at the Law Park Field. ~In the event of inclement weather, the event will be held on the following days: 13, 20, 27 July and 3 August. ~There will be food, wine/beer and music from local artists. ~Come out and enjoy this event with friends and family! ~~See the attached flyer …
Mayor and Board of Trustees. The next scheduled M/BOT Meeting is on Wednesday, 11 July, with a W/S at 6:30 PM, and BOT Meeting at 8:00 PM: all at the WJV Community Center.
Philip E. Zegarelli,
Report 336 – 29 June 2018
[copy text from your word processing document and paste it here]