Village Manager’s Friday Report
25 May 2018
From the Village Manager.
The annual American Legion - BMFD sponsored Memorial Day Parade steps off at Noon on Monday, 28 May. Participants should assemble along Pleasantville/Poplar Roads at about 11:30 AM. Memorial Day ceremonies commence in Law Park after the parade. In the case of inclement weather, services will be held at Law Pavilion at 12:15 pm.
All VBM services/offices will be closed on Memorial Day, Monday, 28 May. Monday’s garbage will be picked up on Tuesday, 29 May, and Tuesday and Wednesday’s garbage will be picked up on Wednesday, 30 May with East and West side recycling. There will be NO Valet Parking services at the Scarborough Railroad Station. The Library will be open regular hours on Saturday and Sunday, 26 and 27 May, but closed on Monday, 28 May.
VBM’s 2018 Pool Season opens Sunday, 27 May. Pool hours are 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM as well as on Memorial Day Monday, 28 May. As with tradition, this is a “freebie” weekend open to all Village residents with or without pool permits in hand. However, if you would like to purchase or renew your permits, please see the Pool & Tennis permit information available on the Village website at www.briarcliffmanor.org. Permits may be purchased at the
Recreation Office weekdays between 8:30 am and 4:00 pm. For added convenience, the office will also be open from 9:00 am – 12:00 (Noon) on Saturdays, 2, 9, and 23 June and 10:00 am – 1:00 pm on 16 June. The Recreation Office will also stay open late until 6:00 pm on Mondays, 4, 11, 18, and 25 June. Tennis players are reminded that permits are required for play on all Village courts. Please show your support for the Village’s tennis facilities, and maximize your enjoyment of the 2018 season by purchasing your permits early!
Pleasantville/Ingham Road Intersection: Work continues at this complex intersection as concrete curbing, sidewalks and other concrete trimming is laid down. The “on-demand” signalization is only partially complete. Expect and plan for delays as the work continues into next week. Overall we are pushing the contractors and WC to complete this work (including milling down and repaving of Pleasantville Road) prior to the heavy work scheduled for the Pocantico River Bridge replacement.
Law Park Playground Update. As you can see, the Law Park Playground area has been cleared and ready for regrading and foundation pads for the new equipment. Unfortunately, for safety and reconstruction reasons, we had to remove the twin-trunked Hemlock. We will be planting a series of dwarf ornamentals in the Fall. Target date to complete is post Memorial Day but pre-Summer Camp opening. The park is closed … totally closed off from use. It is a construction site and we ask you to respect the commonsense need to stay off of and out of the area.
Quick Project Updates:
- Route 9A x North State Intersection. Contractor’s storm sewer relocation, NYSDOT’s new crossing signals are near complete on both sides of Route 9A. Prep work for “right-turn-on-red lanes” is being addressed.
- Birrettella’s Corner completion. Fuel tank removal … still “two weeks” and frustratingly so.
- Pocantico River Bridge Replacement and Con Ed gas main work on Route 9A/100 overpass. Timetable has slid some more. We believe the heavy work of bridge replacement will not begin until about the end of the school year. Of course this will cause other problems since all work in the riverbed must be complete by 30 September due to NYSDEC rules.
- Law Park Pond Dredging and Law Park Parking Lot Rehabilitation and Drainage Upgrades. M/BOT to approve the bids: Funding approved and work to commence post-Community Day.
Village Department Reports
From our Village Clerk/Administration. Our Summer hours are now: 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM on Monday through Thursday … but with Friday hours being 8:00 AM to a 12:00 PM (Noon) close.
From our DPW.
- Emergency repairs are being made as discovered: semi-annual flushing almost complete.
- Reminder: Leaves and grass clippings must be brown bagged and brush must be bundled and tied. Existing codes prevail.
- Especially due to this Spring’s cool and wet conditions, we are doing maintenance/field upkeep on a daily basis.
- Road repairs (especially catch basins) as well as asphalt, curbing repairs continues.
From the Finance Department and the Village Treasurer. The 2018/2019 tax bills will be mailed shortly. The Village does not accept prepayments. Payments will be accepted on the following schedule without penalty: 1st installment 1 June 2018 – 2 July 2018; and, 2nd installment 1 December 2018 – 31 December 2018.
From the Library and Community Center.
- Kick off the holiday weekend by stopping in the Library for pool read or weekend DVD, on Saturday, from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm and Sunday from 1:00 to 5:00 pm.
- The Library Friends group is looking for new members. Please contact Janet Bashford at email@example.com for more information.
- Fun for Older 1s and 2s, Wednesdays at 10:30 am, through 30 May. Fifteen to 30 months with caregiver. Please drop-in.
- Baby Storytime Lapsit, Wednesdays at 11:30 am, through 30 May. Up to 10 months with caregiver. Please drop-in.
- Reflexology: Putting Your Best Foot Forward, Thursday, 31 May, 6:30-8:00 PM. Reflexology offers deep relaxation, stress relief, pain reduction and improved sleep. Cathleen Bonvento, RN, MS, AHN-BC Advanced Holistic Nurse will present the program. Registration suggested to firstname.lastname@example.org or 941-7072. All are welcome.
- Adult Coloring, Mondays at 1:00-2:30 PM, through 11 June. (No session on Memorial Day, 28 May.) Colored pencils, gel pens and coloring sheet will be provided or you may bring your own. This program is co-sponsored with the Briarcliff Manor Recreation Department.
- Presentations with PowerPoint (Beginner), Saturday, 2 June, 11:00 AM-12:30 PM. Create dynamic, digital slide presentations for school, business and personal use. Learn more advance features including adding hyperlinks, video and more elaborate features to slide presentations.
From Recreation and Parks.
- The 2018 Spring/Summer Recreation Brochure is available on the Village website: visit the Recreation page at www.briarcliffmanor.org to access the brochure and review the array of programs and services available to all Village residents. Pool & Tennis Permit Sales and registration for summer programs are underway and ongoing – this includes Tennis Lessons and Pool Programs like Swim Team, Water Babies, Preschool Aquatics and Lifeguard Training. If you do not have access to a computer and would like information mailed to you, just call the Recreation office at 941-6560 and we will be
happy to send you what you need.
- Day Camp Registration: We have now reached our maximum enrollment capacity for both Camp Adventure (grades 4-6) and Camp Horizon (grades 7-9). If you would like to be placed on our waitlist for either of these two programs, please contact Recreation Supervisor Kyle Peterson at email@example.com. We still have limited space available in Tree Camp (grades K-1) and Super Camp (grades 2-3), however, certain weeks in individual camp age groups are on the verge of being full. Register ASAP, and hopefully we still have room in your desired program! The
2018 Camp Season will run from Monday, 2 July, through Friday, 3 August. Registration is for the full season, or any 3 or 4 weeks of your choice. All registration forms are available on the Recreation page of the Village website at www.briarcliffmanor.org.
- Village fields are open for use as scheduled by our local youth sports organizations. We’d like to remind everyone that field use is by permit only. All field users and teams are asked to help keep our park facilities clean by picking up and removing all trash from the playing fields after your use. Remember … what you take into our parks and fields are to be taken out or otherwise disposed of properly. Thank you and enjoy what’s left of the Spring season!
- VBM will once again partner with other program providers this summer to offer additional Specialty Camp Programs. Take advantage of several 1-week camp offerings available throughout the summer including “PlayWell Teknologies” Star Wars LEGO Camps, “IncrediFlix” Movie Making Camps, Briarcliff Little League Baseball Camps, Azility Fitness Camp and Soccer Camps offered in conjunction with the Briarcliff Youth Soccer Club and the New York Red Bulls.
- The 2018 Briarcliff Swimming & Diving Team program starts on Tuesday, 5 June, with practices in the evening beginning at 5:30 pm. If you are interested in joining the team, please come to the Swim Team Parents Meeting scheduled for next Wednesday evening, 30 May at 7:30 PM at the Community Center meeting room at the Library. The program is for children ages 6-18 who already know how to swim and want to get involved in competitive swimming & diving. The team competes in the Northern Westchester Swimming Conference & the season runs through Sunday, 29 July.
- Stay informed … subscribe to our “Recreation News” e-mail notification system available through the Village website. In addition to announcing new offerings, we use the system to keep you informed of such things as upcoming registration dates, deadlines, cancellation announcements and community special events. It’s easy: go to www.briarcliffmanor.org, access the Recreation page, and click on the “Subscribe to News” link to register. If you do not have access to a computer and would like information mailed to you, just call the Recreation office at 941-6560 and we will be
happy to send you what you need.
From our extended Briarcliff Manor Community.
Briarcliff Baseball Fundraiser. Purchase tickets for the NY Mets game against the Chicago Cubs for Sunday, 3 June, at 1:10 pm to help benefit Briarcliff Baseball. Field level tickets are $80.00 each which includes 1 ticket, a Mike Piazza jersey, and a Mets fanny pack. Children 12 and under can run the bases after the game. Come in your Briarcliff Bears attire and see yourself on the jumbotron! For contact information, please see attached flier.
Mayor and Board of Trustees. The next scheduled M/BOT Meeting is set for 6 June, Wednesday, with a W/S at 6:30 PM, and BOT Meeting at 8:00 PM: all at the WJV Community Center.
Philip E. Zegarelli,
Report 331 – 25 May 2018
Enjoy your Memorial Day Weekend !
Enjoy … but remember why we celebrate it ![copy text from your word processing document and paste it here]