Village Manager’s Report – 17 November 2017
From the Village Manager:
- Village Hall Construction. VH side is completed: next is the FD’s Meeting rooms and other VH levels.
- Pleasantville X North State Road Intersection (AKA Birrettella’s Corner). We “anticipate” that with current temperatures continuing, the milling of “north” Pleasantville Road will be completed and a “binder” coat of asphalt will be completed to the Chilmark Shopping Center … just before or just after Thanksgiving. The curbing for the new right-turn-on-red is completed, sidewalks are being poured. We have advised WC to cease work in the Holbrook Cottage area and resume environmental remediation until Spring 2018 at which time the top coat of pavement will be laid down.
- Safe Routes to Schools (SRTS) moves to curbing and sidewalk work: the contractor anticipates this work to commence in the first week of December. Remember that the repaving of Horsechestnut and Ingham Roads will not be done until the Spring of 2018.
- Holbrook Road Lift Station. The lift station is in the throes of final completion.
- WC Road Contractors (ELQ) is the WC contractor for the Pleasantville Road paving segments. They are concentrating on what we call “north” Pleasantville Road until the binder coat is laid down and the Birrettella’s Corner work is completed. They will then move to other sectors as the weather permits.
- Noise Ordinance Update. An update to the previous draft is in process and for future review. We anticipate having the first public hearing on the rewritten Noise Ordinance NO earlier than mid-January 2018.
- Plan Ahead Part I … For Thanksgiving week … VH, DPW/Highway and Recreation will be closed on Thursday and Friday. There will be NO valet Parking on Thursday and Friday. Our Library will be closed on Thursday and Friday. There will be no sanitation pick up on Thursday: however, the Wednesday and Thursday garbage pick-up will be on Wednesday (22 November). And to make things more complicated, our sanitation department will be picking up the regular Friday round. We will repeat this in next week’s report coming out on Wednesday.
- Plan Ahead Part II … seasonal prohibition of overnight parking goes into effect on Friday, 1 December.
From our Village Departments
From the Village Clerk. ~Applications are currently being accepted for the 2018 Scarborough Railroad Parking Permits and permits will be distributed the week of 4 December.~ We will be adding the 2018 holiday (No Valet Service) schedule to the permits ... we anticipate that all second permit requests will be addressed by 15 December.
From the Department of Public Works (DPW). We are in our second loop of our annual leaf pick-up program. Due to delayed leaf drop and leaves still clinging to our trees, we are running the loops as we see piles of leaves and of course be back for the regular pick-ups: it’s actually working better this year than last year. We begin WEEKEND leaf pick-up this weekend. You are reminded that no leaf piles should be placed in the street or on sidewalks. Tell your landscapers that violations will be issued and for those with prior violations heightened scrutiny.
From the Library and Community Center
- Friday Night at the Movies: Paris Can Wait (PG).~ Tonight ! … at 7:00 PM in the Community Center.~ Anne is at a crossroads in her life. Long married to a successful, driven but inattentive movie producer, she unexpectedly finds herself taking a car trip from Cannes to Paris. What should be a seven-hour drive turns into a carefree two-day adventure replete with diversions involving picturesque sights, fine food and wine, humor, wisdom and romance, Diane Lane and Alec Baldwin star in this new-to-DVD film. You may bring your own snacks.
- Books That Will Start You Thinking: Nonfiction Book Group: The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull, And the Battle of the Little Bighorn by Nathaniel Philbrick.~ Sunday, 3 December, at 1:30 PM.~ Copies of the book are now available to borrow at the Library.~ Registration is required.~ The discussion is led by Shelley Glick, Reference Librarian. To register, please email Shelley Glick at email@example.com or call 941-7072.
- Adult Coloring. Mondays from 1:00 - 2:30 PM.~ Join our popular Adult Coloring Group! Coloring has been proven to enhance concentration, relieve stress and help reduce anxiety. Come and explore your artistic side, meet new people, and have some fun, all while listening to soft relaxing music. Colored pencils, gel pens and coloring sheets will be provided or you may bring your own. Drop-In, no registration or artistic skills required!~ This program is cosponsored with the Briarcliff Manor Recreation Department. ~
- Children’s Programs … email Amy Kaplan at firstname.lastname@example.org~or call the Library at 941-7072.
- Please note that Wednesday Storytimes are suspended starting 22 November through the end of the year and will resume on 3 January 2018.~
- New Program! Young Artists Series. Mondays, 27 November and 18 December from 4:15 - 5:15 PM for 4th graders and up. Registration is required. Participants will view the rotating art exhibit on the second floor of the Library and then use the same medium to create their own art in the same style.
- Middle School Critics for 6th, 7th and 8th graders.~ Registration is required.~ For dates, times and location please go to http://www.briarcliffmanorlibrary.org/criticsmeetings.pdf.~ Kids get together to write reviews of books, movies, music, apps and more. All reviews are compiled into a newsletter that is distributed at Briarcliff Middle School and is available in the Library and on our website.~ We have snacks at each meeting.
- Carole & Diddy’s Matters of the Arts an exhibit of artwork by Carole D’Angelica and Diddy Gomerman will be on display on the second floor of the Library through 30 November.
- The 2017 Fall Program Brochure with our full listing of programs for adults, teens and children is posted on our website at http://www.briarcliffmanorlibrary.org/brochure.pdf.~ Print brochures are available in the library.~ Also, please sign up for Library News at http://www.briarcliffmanor.org/subscriberlib and “like” our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/briarclifflibrary to find out about everything that’s happening at the Library.
From Recreation and Parks.~~~
- Let your voice be heard!~ The VBM Recreation Advisory Committee Survey regarding Parks, Facilities and Recreation Programs is still available, and responses are approaching the 100 mark!~ Please take a few moments to share your thoughts – average time to complete the survey is 3 minutes!~ The survey will be available through Sunday, 26 November, and responses will be reviewed and discussed at the next Advisory Committee meeting on 28 November. Please click on the following link to access this simple online survey >>> https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NV9VYWN.
- Speaking of hearing your voices … ~Please join us for the return of Briarcliff’s Community Bonfire & Holiday Sing-a-long event in Law Park!~ This year’s event is scheduled for Sunday evening, 3 December at 5:00 PM starting in the Pavilion.~ Join your friends & neighbors for a warm & inviting Celebration of Peace, Community Fellowship & the Winter Holiday Season co-sponsored by the Village and the Briarcliff Friends of the Arts - BFA.~ This event features vocal performances by the Lubin Carolers, Sing-a-Long Songs, children's crafts, refreshments and our traditional bonfire!
- Last call for Rec Basketball Registration – The printed deadline to register for all Recreation Basketball programs is TODAY!~ Programs are available for all interested boys and girls in grades 1-6.~ All grade-level programs meet for one hour on Saturdays at the Briarcliff Middle School Gym beginning 2 December, and feature a focus on fun, participation and skill development utilizing drills, scrimmages and game play.~ Don’t miss out on the fun … Contact the Recreation Department today!~~~~
- Platform Tennis season has arrived, so get your Platform Tennis Permits and enjoy this wonderful cool weather sport!~ Contact the Recreation Department for details, or visit the Recreation page of the Village website at www.briarcliffmanor.org for further information.
- The Recreation Department’s Winter Season Program Brochure will be available for viewing and downloading from the Village website right before Thanksgiving.~ Winter registration begins on Monday, 4 December.~ Visit the Recreation page of the Village website at www.briarcliffmanor.org for further information on all recreation programs and seasonal offerings.
- If you are looking to stay informed with up to the minute information regarding Recreation Department programs and services, please make sure you subscribe to our “Recreation News” e-mail notification system available through the Village website.~ In addition to announcing new offerings, we use the system to keep you informed of such things as upcoming registration dates, deadlines, cancellation announcements and community special events.~ Simply visit the Village’s website at www.briarcliffmanor.org, access the Recreation page, and click on the “Subscribe to News” link to
Mayor and Board of Trustees. Due to the various holidays coming up during November, the next M/BOT meeting will be on Wednesday, 6 December, starting with a W/S at 6:30 PM and the BOT session at 8:00 PM. Notice is provided for an Executive Session, if necessary. All sessions will be at the WVJ Community Center.
Philip E. Zegarelli,
Report 304 – 17 November 2017
It’s NEVER too early
to prepare for Thanksgiving !
[copy text from your word processing document and paste it here]