Village Manager’s Report – 16 June 2017
From the Village Manager.
This Week’s March/Protest. Now you might think it a bit unusual for us to highlight this, but it is appropriate to note and thank our residents, the public and all sides of the issue for their planning, cooperation and understanding. Special thanks go to our Village Staff and Department Personnel. The support and cooperation of our Police, Fire, Ambulance and DPW is greatly appreciated as well as the mutual assistance from many of our neighboring communities and Westchester County Agencies.
Ron Jankowski - 92 Engine Memorial Fund. The 7th Annual Ron Jankowski “Father's Day” 5K Run/Walk through Briarcliff Manor will be held on Saturday, 17 June. It’s never too late to participate and registration is open from 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM at VBM’s Law Park. The run starts at 8:00 AM.
Reports by Village Department.
From the Village Clerk. ~~Our Summer hours are now 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM on Monday to Thursday … but with Friday hours being 8:00 AM to a 12:00 PM (Noon) close.
From the Village Treasurer.~
- You should have received your 2017-2018 tax bills which are available for payment online and at Village Hall.~ Be advised that you are responsible to have the first installment paid by 3 July.~ You must reach out to the Tax Department at 944-2723 BEFORE the due date or a 5% NYS imposed penalty will be applied.~ There are no exceptions to this requirement.~ If you are or know of a new resident, please email this to them as many new residents are not aware of the Village Tax Cycle.
- The Town of Ossining mailed letters to home owners with revised property assessments.~ Since the assessment revaluation, which brought the tax roll to 100%, the Town intends to keep the values at 100% or Market Rate.~ There can be adjustments annually.~ While your questions should be directed to the Town Assessor’s office (914-762-8274), We will be working on having our own Q&A session for Village residents in the future.
From the Library and Community Center.
- Friday Night at the Movies: La La Land~ (PG-13).~ Friday, 16 June at 7:00 PM.~ Winner of six Academy Awards including Best Director and Best Actress, LA LA Land stars Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling as Mia and Sebastian, an actress and a jazz musician pursuing their Hollywood dreams - and finding each other -in a vibrant celebration of hope, dreams, and love.~ People attending may bring their own snacks.
- Adult Coloring. Mondays through 19 June from 1:00 - 2:30 PM. ~Join our drop-in Adult Coloring Group at any time! ~Coloring has been proven to enhance concentration, relieve stress and help reduce anxiety. Come and explore your artistic side, meet new people, and have some fun, all while listening to soft relaxing music. ~Colored pencils and coloring sheets will be provided or you may bring your own. ~Drop-In, no registration or artistic skills required! ~This program is cosponsored with the Briarcliff Manor Recreation Department. ~
- Brown Bag Lunch Book Group: Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead is to be Rescheduled. As we previously reported, Pulitzer Prize-winning, bestselling author Colson Whitehead, presents a magnificent, wrenching, tour de force chronicling a young slave's adventures as she makes a desperate bid for freedom in the antebellum South.~ Copies of the book are now available to borrow from the library.
- School’s Out for Summer Party.~ Friday, 23 June from 4:00 – 5:30 PM (outside in Law Park/Pavilion, rain or shine!).~ Everyone is welcome to join the party with a live DJ, games, crafts, and snacks.~ Also, this is the first opportunity for children ages 3 and older to sign up for the summer reading incentive program.~ [NOTE: we are also looking for teens and adults to volunteer at this event.~ Contact Amy if you are interested at firstname.lastname@example.org.]
- New Knitting Group. ~This group is open to all knitters and will meet on the 2nd Thursday and 4th Tuesday of each month from 6:00 – 8:00 PM. ~The next meeting is Tuesday, 27 June. ~There is no teacher in this group but there will be various levels of knitters, from newbies to people who are practically professional. ~To join this group, or for more information, please contact Laurie Rubin Jones at H: 914-502-0692; C: 201-694-0059.
- Sciencetellers Show.~ Monday, 26 June from 4:30 – 5:30 PM for K - 5th graders. ~A theatrical learning experience that combines science and storytelling in an engaging interactive show!~ No registration is required.~ Funding for this program was made possible by Friends of the Briarcliff Manor Public Library~ This show will take place in the Community Center.
- Construction Site Storytime Party.~ Thursday, 29 June from 4:00 – 4:45 PM for 2 1/2 - 6 year olds with caregivers.~ Enjoy construction related books, games and a craft and enjoy a special opportunity to sit in the driver's seat of a real construction vehicle from the Village's Department of Public Works!
- Any Book, Book Club.~ Tuesdays from 6:30 – 7:15 PM (27 June, 11, 18, 25 July) for 4th - 8th graders.~ Participants can talk about any book that they have been reading, listen to Amy booktalk some of her favorites, play some book related games and more.~ Registration is required.~ Contact Amy Kaplan at email@example.com.
- My First Book Club.~ Tuesdays, 27 June, 11, 25 July, and 8 August from 5:15 – 6:00 PM for 2nd and 3rd graders.~ Picture books aren't just for little kids!~ Children in this group all read the same older-audience picture book and then meet to discuss them and play a related activity.~ Registration is required.~ Contact Amy Kaplan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Splashes Of Color: An Exhibit Of Watercolors by Phyllis Neider is on exhibit on the second floor of the Library for the month of June.
- Library Children’s Programs. We have a lot going on for children this summer at Briarcliff Manor Public Library! You can read all about it on our website at: www.briarcliffmanorpubliclibrary.org/summer/. Here are some events that are happening right after the school year ends. Mark your calendars now. (Please note that the book clubs require registration.)
- The 2017 Spring/Summer Program Brochure with our full listing of programs for adults, teens and children is now available on our website at http://www.briarcliffmanorlibrary.org/brochure.pdf~and in print at the Library.
From Recreation and Parks.~
- To see our 2017 Spring/Summer Recreation Brochure go to www.briarcliffmanor.org: Summer registration is underway, and our 2017 Pool & Tennis permits are on sale. Detailed information is available on the website.~ If you do not have access to a computer and would like the brochure mailed to you, just call the Recreation office at 941-6560 and they will be happy to send you a printed copy.
- Note our transitional changes to the 2017 Pool Schedule as the school year ends:~ weekend hours are 11:00 AM to 7:30 PM this weekend; 17 & 18 June. ~Weekday hours are 3:00-7:30 PM on Monday and Tuesday; 19 & 20 June, and we will have a special early opening on Wednesday, 21 June at 12:00 NOON. ~Daily hours from Thursday, 22 June through Tuesday, 27 June are 11:00 AM-7:30 PM, after which weekday hours switch to a 12:45 PM opening with the start of the Day Camp season. If you would like to purchase or renew your permits, please see the Pool & Tennis permit information available on the Village website at www.briarcliffmanor.org. ~Permits may be purchased at the Recreation Office weekdays between 8:30 am and 4:00 pm.~ For added convenience, the office will also be open from 9:00 AM to 12:00 NOON every Saturday in June, and will stay open late until 6 PM every Monday in June! ~Tennis players are reminded that permits are required for play on all Village courts. It’s important to support our Village tennis
facilities; maximize your enjoyment of the season by purchasing your 2017 permits early!
- Last Call for the 5th Grade Pool Party set for Tuesday, 20 June from Noon to 3:00 pm at the Law Park Pavilion and Village Pool. ~All resident and school district 5th graders are welcome to register for this event featuring swimming, a DJ and a barbecue lunch. ~The price for the event is $30 per student and pre-registration is required by 4:00 PM today at the Recreation Department Office or online at www.briarcliffmanor.org. ~This will be a rain or shine event . . . in the event of inclement weather, the barbecue and DJ dance party will take place in the Pavilion!
- Period 3 Tennis Lessons – Register by Wednesday, 21 June! Youth and adults lessons for all skill levels are available and will run between 26 June and 14 July. Visit the Recreation page of the Village website for details!
- Specialty Camp Programs. ~Take advantage of several 1-week camp offerings available throughout the summer including the NEW Briarcliff Recreation Baseball Camp, “PlayWell Teknologies” LEGO Camps, “Engineering for Kids” Camps, “IncrediFlix” Movie Making Camps, and Soccer Camps offered in conjunction with the Briarcliff Youth Soccer Club and the New York Red Bulls. ~Seek out the Recreation brochure for further information and dates for these specialty programs.
Mayor and Board of Trustees. The next regularly scheduled M/BOT meeting is set for Wednesday, 21 June 2017, with a Work Session at 6:30 PM and a M/BOT Meeting at 8:00 PM: all at the WJV Community Center.
Philip E. Zegarelli,
Report 282B – 16 June 2017
[copy text from your word processing document and paste it here]