Storm Recovery Update
Wednesday, November 7 (@4:00 PM)
1. Power Restoration: Village outages are down to about 30% as neighborhood areas are restored; occurring only after “secondary” lines are reconnected. The Primary lines are the 3-phase (3 separate lines often at the top of the pole) which carries 13 KWatts (13,000 watts). These cables are largely reconnected … we understand that only a few remain down. Primaries bring the power while the Secondary lines run under the primaries and supply power to your individual street and/or home. Yes, you may have seen the utility workers restore the primary power, but if the secondary lines are damaged, they have to be repaired or replaced before you have power. Unfortunately that is why some of your neighbors may have power but you do not. There are still stubborn areas: those areas that may have a combination of primary and secondary lines down, poles snapped and transformers damaged … all requiring multiple specialty crews to reconnect you. We are trying to nail down more utility
crews (we have 7 restoration teams including 16 bucket trucks) as well as exact Power Restoration ETAs and will share them as soon as we are told.
2. Storm Update: watch for the latest weather advisories regarding the forecasted nor’easter due later today and dragging into tomorrow. Weather updates are constantly changing. The DPW is prepared for response. Check your batteries and other back-up gear. But … it you lose power, you must call Con Ed at 1-800-75-CON ED.
3. Opening Roads and Clean-Up: while some road entries are blocked, we have no reports of areas “boxed” in with no ingress or egress. Call the VBM PD at 941-2130 if we are not correct. We are holding to ongoing regular garbage/recycling schedules as best as possible. Storm debris clean-up is secondary to power restoration: please hold off calling DPW asking for debris pick-ups until next week. Our DPW crews will be working this weekend and Monday, Veterans Day. Questions: Call DPW at 941-9105.
- Hard-Wired Generators require village permits - Call the VBM Building Department at 944-2770.
- Library and Community Center - weather permitting - open from 10 AM to 10 PM.
Philip E. Zegarelli, VM
Report 39F @ 7 November 2012